Friday, December 1, 2006

the weatherman seems to have abandoned me

This is one of the funniest posts I've seen on PR in a long while (on learning to practice what you preach, basically). Leave it to Amanda over at Strumpette to have exclamation points ringing in my ears minutes after I finish reading the piece. (Though I am curious as to who the "newspaperman" they got to edit it was, or what paper he works for).

Today has been long, muggy, boring, and hungover... it feels a bit like summertime in the District (or Paris) - except that it's not. It is December. I want cold weather. I want it to be absolutely necessary that you get "all bundled up" to go outside. I want wet and slushy snow, the sort of snow that hits the street and people don't want to drive for another week. I want the white of it all and I want to wake up and look out my window to see a blanket; all the buildings the same color. I want breath to fog up with you exhale, I want to ice skate on the National Mall. I want that sort of weather that when you were in junior high, you would hold your crush's hand to keep warm even though you were terrified because - omigod! - you were holding your crush's hand. There is something that only winter has that gives me an almost dizzy-euphoria everyday. It's easier to breath, things seem lighter, life seems airy. I want that feeling back. The heavyset and humid air of summer in Washington needs to vacate, especially seeing as it has been summer for five months now. The damned humidity is far too much like some of the politicians around here - won't take "leave us the hell alone" for an answer.

I want to sip hot cocoa and wear my scarf. I want it to be beautifully gray every afternoon.

No comments: